MUFG Union Bank VP Senior Manager, Operations and Transaction Banking Audit in London, United Kingdom
Do you want your voice heard and your actions to count?
Discover your opportunity with Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (MUFG), the 5th largest financial group in the world. Across the globe, we’re 180,000 colleagues, striving to make a difference for every client, organization, and community we serve. We stand for our values, building long-term relationships, serving society, and fostering shared and sustainable growth for a better world.
With a vision to be the world’s most trusted financial group, it’s part of our culture to put people first, listen to new and diverse ideas and collaborate toward greater innovation, speed and agility. This means investing in talent, technologies, and tools that empower you to own your career.
Join MUFG, where being inspired is expected and making a meaningful impact is rewarded.
MUFG (Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group) is one of the world's leading financial groups. Headquartered in Tokyo and with approximately 350 years of history, MUFG is a global network with around 2,300 offices in over 50 countries including the Americas, Europe, the Middle East and Africa, Asia and Oceania, and East Asia.. The group has over 150,000 employees, offering services including commercial banking, trust banking, securities, credit cards, consumer finance, asset management, and leasing.
As one of the top financial groups globally with a vision to be the world's most trusted, we want to attract, nurture and retain the most talented individuals in the market. The size and range of MUFG's global business creates opportunities for our employees to stretch themselves and reap the rewards, whilst our common values, to behave with integrity and responsibility, and to build a culture which is fair, transparent, and honest, underpin everything that we do. We aim to be the financial partner of choice for our clients, whatever their requirements, building long-term relationships, serving society, and fostering shared and sustainable growth for a better world.
MUFG’s shares trade on the Tokyo, Nagoya, and New York (NYSE: MTU) stock exchanges. The group’s operating companies include, but are not limited to, Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, Mitsubishi UFJ Trust and Banking (Japan's leading trust bank), Mitsubishi UFJ Securities Holdings (one of Japan's largest securities firms), and MUFG Americas Holdings.
Please visit our website for more information - mufgemea.com.
EMEA Internal Audit Office (EIAO), as the Bank’s third Line of Defence, and in accordance with the Global Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) International Standards (IIA Standards), provides independent assurance to the Board and Executive Management on the quality and effectiveness of governance, risk management and internal controls to monitor manage and mitigate key risks to achieving the Bank’s objectives.
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The main purpose of the role is to provide execution and delivery for the Operations & Transaction Banking (including Trade Finance) portfolio. This includes responsibility for execution and delivery of audit planning, execution, and reporting for all Operations & Transaction Banking audits under the oversight of the Director for Operations and Transaction Banking Audit. The portfolio covers the Operations functions that support both the Corporate, Investment and Transaction Banking business and the Global Markets Securities business. The portfolio also covers the Transaction Banking (including Trade Finance) business.
The role-holder will be tasked with supporting the Director, Operations & Transaction Banking Audit, to provide appropriate, adequate, and high quality assurance over the portfolio activities, in particular implementing and embedding a robust audit approach for Operations & Transaction Banking for the EMEA region. This will include contribution to key strategic initiatives.
The person will be required to develop and manage relationships, working closely with other EIA Senior Audit Managers and the Senior Leadership Team and business stakeholders. The role-holder will be required to operate effectively within the wider internal audit team, to work on the efficient scoping, planning and delivery of assigned audit engagements (including integrated audits) to ensure the appropriate key risks and related key controls are covered adequately and
effectively, and to follow-up on issues raised through to their closure. They may be required to conduct fieldwork, and will often take a supervisory or lead role in audit engagement.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for:
• EIA VPs will be required to influence and negotiate with counterparts across EIA, and with business stakeholders, to execute audit assurance
• EIA VPs will be required to supervise more junior team members, encouraging, supporting, and coaching them where necessary
• As a VP, high leadership standards are expected across the function and Bank and the role holder will be required to act as role-model and support function-wide initiatives
• From time to time, will be required to take a lead role in non-‘BAU’ strategic initiatives e.g. a working group
• EIA VPs are expected to play a supervisory and audit lead role in audit engagement and audit team meetings and be proactive in identifying and sharing issues openly in the department and proposing solutions for managing them
• EIA VPs will support Directors in managing their sections of the risk universe and risk assessment by monitoring and maintaining areas of the audit universe and internal audit risk assessment. Ensuring that risk assessments are kept up to date and accurate. Assist the Director to deliver, and ensure the effectiveness of, continuous monitoring to underpin areas of audit activity and focus
• EIA VPs will also utilise their subject matter expertise, knowledge of the business, and wider industry knowledge to influence the audit plan and the risk assessments applied to the portfolio considering all applicable risks (including enterprise risk and operational/non-financial risks) for the audit universe
• Will be responsible to establish and maintain strategy and approach papers for entities and risks within the portfolio, as directed
• EIA VPs seek opportunities to improve and support thematic risk coverage (within their specialist and portfolio areas)
• EIA VPs are responsible to ensure timely and efficient delivery and execution of audit engagements within timelines and budgets, against agreed project and reporting milestones
• Able to manage a portfolio of audit engagements, demonstrating appropriate coverage of key portfolio risks
• Ensure high quality standard of work in line with Methodology and QA standards
• Champion the implementation of methodology best practice through audit engagements, leading by example.
• Display very strong appreciation of risk management and internal control in banking
• As audit lead, deliver audit reports which are insightful, factually based, impactful and robust, and require minimal rewrite by the Director, Internal Audit
• As audit lead, responsible for agreeing draft Management Action Plan for reports and checking for robustness of actions and proposed timelines, prior to approval by the Director, Internal Audit, and take ownership of the follow-up and validation of audit issues raised through to closure
• Execute continuous monitoring assignments, supporting Director, Internal Audit.
• Ensure audit reporting and MI is accurate and complete (e.g. Monthly Control Reports, Audit Committee reporting etc.)
• EIA VPs will contribute as a representative for the Department when performing portfolio responsibilities
• EIA VPs will be required to attend Bank forums within the portfolio when requested
• EIA VPs will maintain constructive relationships with senior stakeholders so that audit planning and delivery are achieved smoothly, helpfully, and professionally
• EIA VPS will work collaboratively with all Internal Audit colleagues regionally and globally to ensure that the quality of work produced globally continues to advance. On occasions, be required to act as lead on Global Thematic Audits
• Work closely with the portfolio Director to ensure departmental and portfolio level objectives are achieved
Travel across EMEA may be required (up to 10%)
• Experience working in Operations, and/or Transaction Banking, and/or Trade Finance internal audit, including managing and supervising audit teams
• Experience working in leading financial services firms and banking/trading institutions
• Experience of working in a similar sized audit function for a major corporate/investment bank
• Experience of transaction banking and trade finance audit
• Experience of auditing key processes run by Operations functions in a corporate or investment bank
• Experience working on change initiatives in an audit or advisory capacity
• Experience of auditing or advising on business strategy or strategic processes
• Knowledge of how to use data analytics to drive continuous risk monitoring and perform audits
• Understanding of and experience in providing assurance over compliance with the regulatory requirements relating to corporate & investment banking
• Experience gained in the relevant first or second line of defence business or risk functions
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Functional / Technical Competencies:
• Excellent subject matter expertise within Operations and/or Transaction Banking (including Trade Finance) activities, processes, products, technology and controls is required
• The person should have a strong understanding of key governance, strategy, risk and management processes, internal control, and internal audit within the banking sector
• Higher education or equivalent industry experience within Audit
• A solid understanding of regulatory requirements and minimum standards as they apply to MUFG’s key activities with a particular focus on Operations & Transaction Banking (including Trade Finance) related requirements
• Strong acumen regarding auditing methodology and industry practices. A strong understanding of financial and non-financial risk management within banking
• A good knowledge of expected internal control frameworks to support key business activities such as significant business process change, regulatory change, introduction of new products and services, outsourcing decisions and / or acquisitions/divestment
• Strong subject matter expertise in Operations and Operations control, Transaction Banking business lines and relevant product level processes, risks, and controls
Education / Qualifications:
• Strong university degree
• Industry qualification e.g. ACA, ACCA
• Additional relevant industry qualifications e.g. CIA, ACT, CF, ICA
• Project Management qualification.
Bachelor’s degree and relevant professional qualifications are preferred. Alternatively candidates with exceptional experience and professional qualifications may be considered if they have no relevant educational qualifications. PERSONAL REQUIREMENTS
• Excellent communication skills
• Results driven, with a strong sense of accountability
• A proactive, motivated approach.
• The ability to operate with urgency and prioritize work accordingly
• Strong decision making skills, the ability to demonstrate sound judgement
• A structured and logical approach to work
• Strong problem solving skills
• A creative and innovative approach to work
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• The ability to manage large workloads and tight deadlines
• Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
• A calm approach, with the ability to perform well in a pressurized environment • Strong numerical skills
• Excellent Microsoft Office skills
• Excellent managerial experience
• Appropriately applies professional skepticism
• Able to navigate complexity
• Ability and desire to motivate and energize self and others
• Willing and able to invest in building relationships and deliver results
• Enthusiasm to implement and embed an audit approach for Operations & Transaction Banking
• Expected to be resilient and determined, to see assignments through to completion and issues resolved effectively
• Strives for excellence
We are open to considering flexible working requests in line with organisational requirements.
MUFG is committed to embracing diversity and building an inclusive culture where all employees are valued, respected and their opinions count. We support the principles of equality, diversity and inclusion in recruitment and employment, and oppose all forms of discrimination on the grounds of age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy and maternity, race, gender reassignment, religion or belief and marriage or civil partnership.
We make our recruitment decisions in a non-discriminatory manner in accordance with our commitment to identifying the right skills for the right role and our obligations under the law.