MUFG Union Bank Americas Wholesale Banking AML Advisory, Director in New York, New York
Discover your opportunity with Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (MUFG), the 5th largest financial group in the world (as ranked by S&P Global, April 2018) with total assets of over $2.9 trillion (106.2 (JPY) as of March 30, 2018) and 150,000 colleagues in more than 50 countries. In the U.S., we’re 13,000 strong, working together to positively impact every customer, organization, and community we serve. We achieve this by delivering on our values, putting people first, fostering long-term relationships built on honesty and mutual understanding, and inspiring the best in each other. This is all part of our inclusive, high-performing culture supported by Total Rewards that include our cash balance pension plan. Join a team that’s working to fulfill its vision to be the world’s most trusted financial group.
Within the Financial Crimes Office Americas (FCOA), part of the Global Financial Crimes Division (GFCD), the Director – Wholesale Banking Advisory reports into the Americas Head of AML. An AML subject matter expert, he or she is responsible for advising wholesale banking lines of business on strategies and program frameworks to identify and manage the AML risks posed by Company’s wholesale banking high risk complex products, including: cross-border transaction banking and payments; trade finance; remote deposit capture; pouch; USD Drafts; FX; and derivatives and clients, which include: foreign financial institutions; non-publicly traded companies; Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs); non-U.S. governmental entities; etc. The position advises on controls and processes, including client-level risk management, and monitors relevant policy, control and process implementation and reports on their effectiveness.
• Manages a team of Subject Matter experts on areas related to Wholesale client types and products
• Supports the production and interpretation of AML policies, standards and procedures for the function with an emphasis on wholesale banking (as set forth above).
• Regularly coordinates with regional and local AML officers across the Americas.
• Engages with relevant first-line business leadership within the region to support their AML risk-management efforts at the product-level and client level
• Works with relevant first-line business leaders within the region to anticipate emergent product offerings and advise the Americas Head of AML in developing responsive strategies, plans, processes and controls to manage product and client risk
• Effectively engages compliance leaders at regional and country levels
• Responsible for the timely identification, resolution, and, as appropriate, escalation to the Americas Head of AML of risks and issues concerning FCB and relevant client relationships
• Coordinates risk re-evaluation and reviews of correspondent banking relationships regionally in conjunction with other GFCD and first-line business units; analyzes the findings of the risk reviews and makes recommendations to maintain or exit a relationship with coordination across regions on consensus and decision making.
• For the region lead and oversee the implementation of Global Financial Institution Standard and policies related to transaction monitoring, KYC, client escalation, and related special projects.
• Remains current on industry developments, best practices and standards relating to correspondent banking and other complex products
• Supports the Americas Head of AML in the review of the bank’s annual AML risk assessments for relevant business lines and products.
• Provide guidance and collaborate on enhance due diligence and transaction monitoring controls for wholesale banking complex products and services
• Liaises with regulators and supervisors in connection with the regional program and related regulatory issues, as required.
• Works with leaders throughout enterprise to resolve efforts to address related open issues in a timely and effective manner. Escalates issues to management, as required.
• Extensive, demonstrated knowledge and expertise in banking laws and regulations administered by the Federal Reserve Bank, FDIC, OCC and state banking regulators; compliance risk management and regulatory oversight.
• Deep subject matter expertise in product risks associated with cross-border transaction banking and payments; trade finance; remote deposit capture; pouch; USD Drafts; FX; and derivatives; and client risks associated with foreign financial institutions; non-publicly traded companies; Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs); non-U.S. governmental entities; etc.
• Demonstrated experience in leveraging investigative and intelligence output in assessing and managing AML risk across the enterprise
• Collaborative with strong interpersonal communication skills.
• Knowledge and experience with FATF and Wolfsberg guidance on AML and sanctions related to correspondent banking
• Knowledge of SWIFT message and payment types and funding flows
• Process oriented with a strong ability to develop appropriate program enhancing strategies.
• Detail oriented and proven execution abilities.
• Ability to prepare and deliver executive level presentations.
• Experience interfacing with banking regulators.
• The ability to interact effectively at all levels of the organization, including Bank staff, management, directors and prudential regulators.
• Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and priorities concurrently.
• Ability to work autonomously and initiate and prioritize own work.
• Solid judgment, established negotiation skills.
• Typically requires at least 10 years of relevant financial crimes compliance experience, preferably within a global organization, and at least 15 years of total experience
• BA or BS Degree; JD, MBA or Master’s degree in Business, Accounting, or related field preferred.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer and committed to leveraging the diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experience of our workforce to create opportunities for our colleagues and our business. We do not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of any protected category.
A conviction is not an absolute bar to employment. Factors such as the age of the offense, evidence of rehabilitation, seriousness of violation, and job relatedness are considered in all employment decisions. Additionally, it's the bank's policy to only inquire into a candidate's criminal history after an offer has been made. Federal law prohibits banks from employing individuals who have been convicted of, or received a pretrial diversion for, certain offenses.
Job: *Risk & Compliance
Title: Americas Wholesale Banking AML Advisory, Director
Location: NEW YORK-New York
Requisition ID: 10027225-WD