MUFG Union Bank Aviation Structured Finance Credit Risk, Director in New York, New York
Do you want your voice heard and your actions to count?
Discover your opportunity with Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (MUFG), the 5th largest financial group in the world. Across the globe, we’re 180,000 colleagues, striving to make a difference for every client, organization, and community we serve. We stand for our values, building long-term relationships, serving society, and fostering shared and sustainable growth for a better world.
With a vision to be the world’s most trusted financial group, it’s part of our culture to put people first, listen to new and diverse ideas and collaborate toward greater innovation, speed and agility. This means investing in talent, technologies, and tools that empower you to own your career.
Join MUFG, where being inspired is expected and making a meaningful impact is rewarded.
This is a hybrid position. There are flexible work from home options available. A member of our recruitment team will discuss the options with you in more detail.
Responsible for the implementation of the credit risk underwriting/management function for Aviation Finance transactions in the Americas, providing recommendations to the credit approval authority and make credit decisions within the delegated authority. Incumbents monitor and manage the credit exposure within portfolios and individual transactions and continually review counterparty credit-worthiness. Incumbents provide advice and/or guidance to junior staff including those in other departments. Typically referred to as technical expert and known internally as reliable, knowledgeable resource. As senior member, develop and exercise business plans, policies and procedures for aviation finance and also be responsible for various projects to improve efficiencies. Individual at this level should have a clear understanding of the firm's different businesses and the related economics.
The clients and transactions under coverage of the position are airlines and aircraft leasing companies in the Americas and transactions originated by those clients, including limited recourse asset-based transactions for which in-depth knowledge and expertise for aviation finance is required. The portfolio under coverage includes transactions with the clients in the Americas initially originated by DVB Bank whose aviation finance business was acquired by MUFG group in November 2019.
Scope of credit assessment includes corporate credit analysis of airlines and aircraft leasing companies with aviation industry specific knowledge and evaluation of transaction structure and collateral aircraft (e.g. Forecasted loan-to-value throughout loan tenor. Balloon repayment risk at loan maturity)
(1) Credit recommendations
• Evaluate aviation finance credit proposals from aviation business lines in the Americas from at early deal screening stage and make written credit recommendations to management via an internal credit application system G-CARS (Global Credit Application & Rating System) based on internal credit policies and procedures including those in Americas’ regional.
• Identify structural risks and mitigates in prospective transactions and recommend/enhance structuring of deals and covenant in line with policies and procedures.
• Advises account officers on credit risk issues/terms and conditions to create a best possible deal with a goal of maximizing profit and minimizing credit cost.
• Directly and independently communicate with other credit divisions to obtain necessary information/comments to support making a credit decision.
• Make credit decisions within the delegated authority. (e.g. formal approval of transactions preliminary approved)
(2) Active portfolio management of designated customers
• Responsible for the monitoring and ongoing credit review of aviation finance portfolio in the Americas.
• Perform due diligence and regularly scheduled reviews.
• Analyze credit risk of the designated portfolio, determine accurate ratings and make recommendations of accurate and timely ratings to management. Note that internal rating system in the US is different from that in other regions. Assessment of US regulatory rating is also required.
• Prepare detailed credit analysis, evaluating the project’s/transaction’s various risks and recommending extensions of credit to management.
• Coordinate and communicate critical account information independently and directly to various related parties throughout the bank, business line, product groups and credit divisions.
• Make credit decisions within the delegated authority. (e.g. non-material changes for existing transactions, internal rating review for existing transactions)
(3) Policy Compliance
• Ensure compliance with external regulatory/internal policy and procedural requirements.
• Participate in ad-hoc policy meetings to enhance organization wide credit risk framework.
(4) Support and mentor junior staff (including those in other departments) in credit risk management process
• Train and support junior staff on OJT basis as assigned by MD.
• Guide junior staff in completing complex assignments.
• Study, develop and enhance analytical skills of the team through close communication.
• Perform related duties and participates in special assignments and projects as required.
• Represent his MD and Group Head in meetings and other duties as required.
• To have client visits with front offices and/or arrange client calls as required.
• As required, to prepare reports for Tokyo Head Office as well as creating credit committee materials.
In-depth knowledge of all elements of credit and risk principles.
Capability to independently handle complex transactions, sensitive borrowers.
Previous extensive working experience in financial institutions, preferably 10 years in credit and risk related function with 5 years of line experience or equivalent.
10 years + of Aviation Finance experience/knowledge.
Thorough knowledge of legal and compliance regulations pertinent to lending.
Strong knowledge covering accounting rule, finance, and regulation.
Established coaching skill.
Good time-management/organizational skill.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and committed to leveraging the diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experience of our workforce to create opportunities for our colleagues and our business. We do not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of any protected category.
Some MUFG roles require that individuals be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to exemptions for medical or religious reasons, as well as any other reason required by applicable law or order. Should you be selected for an interview, your recruiter will provide additional information.
At MUFG, our colleagues are our greatest assets. Our Culture Principles provide a roadmap for how each of our colleagues must think and act to become more client-obsessed, inclusive and innovative. They reflect who we are, who we want to be and what we expect from one another. We are excited to see you take the next step in exploring a career with us and encourage you to spend more time reviewing them!
Our Culture Principles
Listen Up. Speak Up.
Innovate & Simplify
Own & Execute